Saturday 25 July 2015

London love affair




I do not long for peace and quiet. I rarely know what to do with myself when I find it. It's not for me.
I am a city girl through and through.
Don't get me wrong, I love the countryside and a pretty view as much as the next person but I get bored easily and need the distraction city life affords.
There is an feeling of inner calm when I am in the city, a strange peace that comes over me. It's hard to explain.
While friends slowly one by one move out in search for space and affordability I grow more and more in love with this magnificent city and if money would allow I'd move further in.
I love the hustle, the noise, the pace. I always feel like I'm on a grand adventure.
I love the randomness and diversity, the curious and the downright bizarre and a bit of history thrown
in. I always learn something new.
I get lost a lot as I have no sense of direction but that's often the best way to find new places. 
Hidden corners, new treasures. Such as Champagne and Fromage in Covent Garden which we stumbled across on the way home from Somerset house. It is a tiny little place which is owned by a French couple who import Champagne. It does exactly what it says. Champagne and cheese. What's not to love? 
We've been back for Champagne tastings and popped in this afternoon for a little treat to finish our day out.
Today was a girlie day with my sister to celebrate belatedly her birthday. 
So we headed off to The Tate Modern full of enthusiasm to see the Barbra Hepworth exhibition to find that it was on at The Tate Britain! We didn't let that deter us though, we laughed at ourselves and wandered around the Warhols and Hockneys instead. Exit through the gift shop of course!
We walked along the river to Southwark to The Shard where we had an amazing lunch at Hutong on the 33rd floor.
Asparagus in white sesame seeds. Half a duck served 2 ways and some lamb and fennel steamed dumplings washed down with a lovely bottle of Viognier. 
We had a window table and I swear you could see forever. What an amazing view.

We hopped on the Jubilee line to Westminster and walked along Embankment to Somerset house. One of my favourite spaces in London and home to the most beautiful staircase you ever did see.


 
My Grandad worked here in the tax office.
 We had a little nostalgia fest at The Jam : About an idea exhibition which was really good. I could have stayed all afternoon singing and watching Paul Weller but instead we walked down The Strand to Champagne and Fromage to have one for the road before flagging down a cab which dropped me at Holborn tube before taking Jo home.
I love the tube. Westward bound. 16 stops and home.





No comments:

Post a Comment